Friday, April 21, 2006

The Biting Point

I learned a fantastic new driving term today: The Biting Point.

It’s the precise moment when, after setting the gas, you let up on the clutch and the engine starts to “bite” into gear. It’s from this point that you have to let up on the clutch a tiny fraction, step a bit more on the gas and keep your feet still for a few car-lengths before you let the clutch completely up. It’s this point which is so crucial for beginning drivers to master, the point at which many neophytes’ cars stall. Or, as we say back home, “namamatayan.”

When I first learned driving basics in the Philippines, left-hand drive, my Dad would supplement my lessons at the driving school by helping me to practise. But terms such as “pakinggan mo lang yung makina” and “timplahin mo lang yung clutch tsaka gas” didn’t really help me visualise what I needed to do at all. Was I driving or making a cup of coffee?

Now, after my first go at the high-tech driving simulator of BSM, I think I finally understand what has eluded me for the longest time. Talk about a-ha moments! The simulator has visual icons, status bars, plus engine sounds to help me figure out if I’m over or under the clutch point, if I need to step on the gas more, etc. And they take note of your progress and gradually give you less help and less cues as you get better at it. The status bars disappear and you realise, hey, I think I know where the biting point is! The video demos were very well-made, even teaching me how best to hold the gear stick (palm away from me) when putting it into first gear. Plus, getting all my instructions in full English (as opposed to Tagalog or Taglish) has afforded me with lots of helpful catch phrases and visual images.

Do your safety checks. Turn on the ignition. Clutch down. First gear. Set the gas. Clutch up to the biting point. Handbrake down. Both hands on wheel. Clutch up a fraction, more gas, then keep feet still. Finally, clutch all the way up and you’ve moved off, baby!

I love the driving simulator! It helps me to zoom in on particular skills in car control before I’m asked to put them all together, something which is virtually impossible in a regular car. Unless your tuition car is dual-controlled and your instructor is very accommodating. For instance, when learning how to stop, the simulator moves the car off for you on auto-pilot, so that you can just concentrate on stopping. Then, when you’ve done a couple of exercises to master it, you’re asked to do one that puts moving off and stopping together, just like in real life.

I recalled my previous driving experience more quickly than I imagined I would, and I managed to finish three lessons (moving off, stopping and changing gears) in my first hour. There are seven simulator lessons all in all, which I plan to master and practise throughout my remaining 5 hours before I finally get on-road with my instructor. I’m really looking forward to my next session next week! And get this, I’m actually ENJOYING learning to drive!

Stick shift. Right-hand drive. Gear stick and handbrake on the left. Driving on the left side of the road. Driving again after 16 years of being in the passenger seat. Know what? It’s not as hard as it sounds. I think I’ll be able to get the hang of this sooner than I give myself credit for. Thanks to all who wished me well, and please do keep saying a prayer for me, especially whenever you ride/drive and are suddenly reminded of The Biting Point.

2 comments:

Binut/Keyt said...

I was going to say that I remember you drove when you were still in the Philippines. But thanks for reminding me that cars in the UK are totally different from those in the Philippines. How does it feel? Is the gas pedal still on the right? Break pedal on the middle? And clutch pedal on the left? Just wondering!

That simulator is one cool thing! How I wish they have that here. :-)

Good luck and have fun driving!

Jeanne Therese Andres said...

Hi Kate! Yup, the foot pedals are the same, thank God!

I finished my six hours on the simulator and had my first on-road lesson last Saturday. It went really well! Will blog about it here soon, if E will take his nap on time, that is ;)

Thanks for posting comments, Kate, I appreciate them. Take care!