Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Economics of Migration

Accuse me of leaving my homeland for money, dear friend, and you will hear me laugh in your face. Looooong and hard.

Back home, we had a car to drive. I had a cellphone. An electronic CASIO keyboard. An RJ guitar. My own 3-2-1 sofa set. A chandelier. A big TV. A refrigerator. A dining table. Our own bed.

Here? No car. No mobile phone, the brands are too expensive. No musical instruments yet, not on our basic priority list. No TV, the annual TV licence fee (required just for OWNING a TV set here in the UK) is way too much. And as for the couch, the dining set, the fridge, the beds--- they all come with the house we are renting, and none of them belongs to us.

Back home, O and I could afford to watch a movie every other week or so. We could all eat at Chow King's or Jollibee or KFC or McDonald's once in a while, after our family grocery time. We had househelp to leave the children with when we needed to go out on dates or meetings. We could sit at Starbucks or Seattle's Best and have one-to-ones over white chocolate lattes.

Here? Movies for juniors (at ₤1 on Sat mornings) are all we can afford. Regular movies cost ₤6 or more and are considered a real luxury. A simple family snack in a McDonald's here could feed a Payatas family for a whole day. Never mind KFC, where you get to eat the same breaded chicken for 5x the price back home. We have never been out on a date by ourselves, O and I, ever since we got here; registered childminders are too expensive. And oh, the times I've gazed longingly at Costa's or Starbucks while walking past...

Back home, we had full and constant access to a rich variety of relationships in community. We lived near brothers and sisters we had known half our lives, and needed just a reasonable amount of time to travel to meetings.

Here, we are geographically isolated from our community in London. To attend meetings each fortnight, we need to take two trains, spending an hour and a half just to get to West London.

So tell me that we left our beloved country to get rich or have an easy life, dear friend, and I will consider that the joke of my entire uprooted year.

Not that we are miserable, no! We have never been happier, more united, more at peace, more contented, more fulfilled than we are now.

Here, I have a husband who doesn't need to work 12-14 hours a day just to bring us to subsistence level. My children have a father who isn't away by the time they wake up, who isn't still driving home in heavy traffic by the time they nod off. O walks B to school each morning, and is home for our family meal by 6pm each evening. O gives E his bedtime bath, and has time for cuddles and stories with the boys. After the children are tucked in bed, our evenings are spent talking, laughing, watching DVDs, praying. There is time to share, to discover, to laugh, to mourn, to wonder, to seek, to be.

Here, we are never tempted to take community for granted. It is much too precious a resource to squander, those weekend meetings. We breathe in all the spiritual fresh air we can, like whales surfacing, filling up their lungs before plunging back down into the depths. And fresh air, we get, with God's grace.

But forget all that, the bottom line still is this:

We feel blessed because we believe we are where God intends us to be. He has a purpose for bringing us here. We prayed, we discerned, we didn't just decide on our own, or weigh the pros and cons. We were led here by His hand, and we followed Him in obedience. We had sought his Will, and once He had made clear to us why he WAS and WASN'T calling us out of our homeland, uprooting us from all we had known, we chose to trust His leading. He didn't lead us here to make us rich, He never promised us an easy life, He never led us to believe that we were here for our own ends.

God wrought our move here, from beginning to end.

He marked the path, He went ahead, and He rode alongside us each step of the way.

God promised us that He can and will give us Life wherever He chooses to place us. And that Life is what we seek, that Life of childlike trust, that Life of abandonment to His Will, that Life of simplicity, contentment and joy, no matter where we are.

So no, sorry, we didn't leave home to get rich.

But we have grown closer to Him, grown in our trust in Him, grown in our understanding of His ways, grown in recognising where He still wants us to grow. As spouses, as parents, as persons, as souls, as pilgrims in search of Home.

A year away, and what have we got to show for it? Not a nice fat bank account, I assure you. Not a car, or a house, or gadgets, or furniture.

Instead we show you our hearts. Our children. Our marriage. Our love. Our new friends. The wisdom we have gained from trusting God. The joy we have felt in obeying Him. The peace we enjoy by being with Him.

Yes, we have ended up with wealth beyond measure.

PS In case you think I'm for or against migration per se, I'm neither. I am, rather, all for seeking God's will and direction for our lives at all times, in all circumstances. And then, to obey, and to bloom where He plants us. If you are thinking about leaving your country, pray. Be honest about your motives. If you are struggling or torn in prayer, pray some more. And if you are confused or are hearing too many voices around you, telling you what to do, pray, pray, pray. On our knees, fellow pilgrims.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never doubted for a minute. God's hand led you all the way.

You raise an interesting point about the cost and benefit of migrating. While many have gone abroad in search of better (economically) lives, you have gone for THE BETTER LIFE. You are right on the head when you say "It's not really about migrating per se, it's about seeking and following God."

On a practical note: How did you end up in UK? What events led you to migrate? Did you follow a "formula" for discernment? Though am not keen on migrating, I have often wondered why many people, much better off than us, choose to migrate. I know it's not exactly paradise here, but it's not that bad either.

Hmmm, maybe you can make a booklet/series about discernment - from an experiential, communal and theological perspective.

Jeanne Therese Andres said...

Hmmm, now that's a thought, Jun... Not sure I'm the best person to write it though. I'm no theological expert, I'm just one of the many exiles... But I promise to share our discernment story with you as soon as I get time to write & email. Salamat!

Anonymous said...

That's a good reflection regarding migration. A lot of people indeed would judge those who decide to migrate in that way, just in search of a greener pasture, maybe because a lot of them really do just with that in mind.. yet in the end I think a lot of us are just in search of a good quality of life... and for me that means not working my head off just to make ends meet to the point of spending less time with God and family. It still boils down to God's will in ones life and to discern it we really need to listen and listen well. You've been blessed with a listening heart. I do my listening by feeling the currents of the water... When it is not His will, everything is in turmoil... there is so much effort in your part with such little results. On the other hand, when it is God's will, it is like sailing with the current. You'd be surprised with the speed with which things are happening. And then there's that distinct sign... PEACE in your heart with the decision that you made... and that peace lingers despite hardships, trials and sufferings because there is the knowledge that you are where God wants you to be.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms Hilario-Andres. I went to UST elementary and you were one of my role models as a little girl. Just thought I'd leave you a note and let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts, especially about motherhood and life in the UK. My husband and I tried the UK and it did not work for us, despite being childless (at the moment). Currently in Australia recovering from the costs of spending a month in different parts of Berkshire and London and only being able to afford 5 nights of luxury in Central London before deciding to return home to Melbourne. Did I forget still paying off the bills accrued on VISA which is quite surpising since we did not exactly live it up in the UK! Will try again later this year though. I have a love-hate relationship with London, but with my husband being from there I suppose I have to be true to my wedding vows and go wherever my marriage takes me.

All the best to you and your family.

Jeanne Therese Andres said...

Hello there, Anonymous. Many thanks for your note. I'm really glad you found my blog, being former schoolmates, and that my posts somehow prove themselves useful.

The UK is realllly an expensive place to live, but up where we are in the countryside northwest of London, the cost of living is not so high. Not as high as central London nor Berkshire, that's for sure! Our town is a modest one, not too big, not too shabby, but still quite livable, and we know our neighbours and walk around a lot instead of riding or driving. But yes, it still is quite expensive compared to Australia, and more so, to the Philippines.

Sorry to hear about your love-hate relationship with London; I don't like it at all myself. Too harsh and impersonal. I just go there to visit my cousins, attend community meetings, do sightseeing, but we always come back home. There have been rare instances, though, when a few Londoners have surprised us by offering help or a smile.

I do hope you'll stay in touch and let me know how your next attempt here goes. Maybe your husband will bring you to the countryside next time. Maybe we may even meet-- who knows, right?

God's blessings on you and your husband, and the children He will bless you with.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Hilario-Andres,

Thanks so much for your comments. I will keep you posted regarding our return to the UK. I'm still feeling a bit star-struck receiving your response. You have to understand that you were a huge figure at UST and the little girls at UST elementary and their yayas would often discuss your achievements and basically daydream of being you : ) It is so refreshing however for someone who has achieved so much to be so approachable and honest about life and its complexities. You continue to amaze me, Ms Hilario-Andres. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi classmate, how are you, so how's UK? Well I've just found your blog while showing to my caucasians officemate that beauty and brain can be together among us. I'm just trying to leave a comment about migration, to start all over again in a foreign land was hard and became harder as years passed by. I've shift to a new career, then bought a house, loan a new car until I've realized that I got too far in a city I'm tired off. Now I've missed my life back home, being separated from my relatives for too long, a costly lifestyle here kept me away from visiting our homeland. I've got a good job, a car and a house back home before I've decided to move here for adventures. If I'm right or wrong on immigrating, I still don't know until now. Regards to you and you beloved kids and family. Back in our college days, I'm a big fan of yours until we graduated and move on to the real world. Goodluck on your post education at Cambridge University, maybe you will be back home after 2011 to share it with UST Engineering students back home. God Bless.