Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Cambridge IELTS results

Happy news! Last May 3rd, I took my first IELTS test in Cambridge to fulfill the English language requirement of my PhD admission offer.
Well, I got my IELTS test results just this morning: my Overall Band Score is 9.0! IELTS test scores range from 0 to 9, and looking at the recent stats, I think almost no one gets such high scores, so I'm really, really lucky. I got 9.0 in Listening, 9.0 in Reading, 8.0 in Writing & 9.0 in Speaking. It's ironic because out of all my English skills, I am usually more confident about writing than, say, speaking, so this is a big confidence booster for me. I think my writing score was affected by the fact that, like many of you, my creative thought output is usually typed, not written longhand as in the hour-long test, and the serious finger-cramping in the middle of the essays probably had something to do with it, as well. But I am absolutely THRILLED with my writing score and I'm definitely taking it, no doubt about that! And yes, as the British would say, I am totally, perfectly chuffed to bits with my Overall Band Score and I AM CERTAINLY NOT COMPLAINING!!! Woohoo! Come and praise the Lord with me!
Yay! Now all my admission conditions are fulfilled! Earlier on, I had posted all my original academic transcripts to the Board of Graduate Studies, and I had also sent my Financial Undertaking Form, my official Award letter from Schlumberger Foundation and other financial documents. My proposed budget for my fellowship had also earlier been approved by Schlumberger, which is a tremendous blessing! Plus, I've already received an Offer of college membership, and my boys and I were even able to pay a visit to the College on the day of my IELTS test.
Now all that remains is to wait for the confirmation letter from Cambridge. I actually worked up the nerve to ask my PhD supervisor for any help she can give to possibly speed things up a bit with the Board of Graduate Studies, since I need that letter pronto to secure a tenancy agreement for our preferred family flat, which is then needed to apply for September school places for the boys. All of the school places for Reception Year have already been fully allocated last month, so E will need quite a lot of your prayers so he can get into the only Catholic school in the Cambridge city centre. I pray that somehow, miraculously, someone will turn down their offer and that place will then be given to E. Prayers needed please, for both B and E! I know that the Lord has great things in store for our boys.
And lots of prayers, too, for O's jobsearch. Please ask for grace for opportunities to open for him, for wisdom to craft his CV in the right way for each company, for him to be shortlisted, interviewed, offered a great job in or near Cambridge, and please pray for time and energy to do all this on top of all we normally do.
It has been quite an exciting journey so far, so many fantastic things have happened. Everything good, good stress, but stress nonetheless. I think I should try to learn some stretching exercises or pilates to de-stress myself. My muscles are so stiff, even when I'm lying down! I need to relax, seriously. The Lord is our Shepherd, indeed, and there is nothing we shall want!
Thanks again to all who have given their prayers and support, and I promise to keep you updated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be very late because this post was last May 2008 pa but .... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOW, 9.0!!!

Well it's no surprise, Nette ... ikaw pa :)

I also enjoy reading your blog about your entry to Cambridge. Dr. C is like an angel, heaven-sent to make these things happen.

Good things happen to good people.
Take care, Nette and God bless!

Ros (nee Rose So)
Tomasino BSCE 93

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this nice post. After taking IELTS every student is curious about result and through online IELTS results information one can find band score.